Understanding Google AdSense
Do you have your own website and thinking about making money out of it? You are just a few steps away from monetizing your website. Use Google Ad Sense on your website to display ads and get revenue.
- When to start?
- What is Google AdSense?
- Setup and configure Google AdSense account
- Understanding Ad Unit.
- Creating a new Ad Unit
- Allowing and blocking ads
- Maximize AdSense revenue
- Understanding Google Adsense / Measuring Adsense performance
When to start?
NOW! Yes now is the time to start google AdSense. There is no perfect time better than this. So let’s start the step by step process in setting up Google Adsense and understanding its various jargons. Trust me, it’s damn easy to set up and you are ready to make money. The best part is that it needs very less maintenance. Once set up you are ready to go and google will manage almost everything for you.
Before setting up Google AdSense account you must know how display advertising works and what exactly it means.
or you can skip this part and directly go to Setup and Configure Google AdSense account
What is Google AdSense?
A certain area of your website gets reserved to be sold to advertisers, to promote a particular product or service. The revenue generated from particular ad depends upon the target and goal of the advertiser.
- How Ads are sold: Depending upon the advertiser’s mode of preference with google you will be paid. The advertiser ads can be on a fixed rate on the monthly or yearly basis, or they can be sold at how many actions a particular ad is receiving. For Example, Ads can be sold on the basis of a number of clicks that they receive. That is called CPC or Cost per click. Ads can also be sold on the basis of the number of impressions an ad receive that is called CPM or cost per thousand impressions.
- What is Impression? When a user navigates to the website and sees an ad that is simply called impression. Note: Page views and impression both are different. So don’t get confused by it. You can have multiple impression for the single page view. For example: If you have three ads on a web page, and the user navigates to your page, then you will have three impressions and one-page view.
- How are Ads displayed with AdSense: Google AdSense automatically pick highest paying ads to be displayed on a website, to maximize the revenue that a website owner makes.
Setup and configure Google AdSense account
1 ) Go to: AdSense
2 ) Before setting up Adsense account
- Read the AdSense policies carefully: as any violation of policies can cost your account to be canceled and you will be left with no options. Google AdSense is quite strict with its policies.
- Read the instructions carefully to know all you need to have a Google AdSense account. Basically, You should have an existing Google account or you can create one, and an address where Google can send your payments. Now you are ready to go and signup to google account.
3 ) Click on the Sign-Up button. Enter your Google account login information.
4) Just fill the simple form with all your details providing your blogs URL. That will be submitted for approval. It takes around 1 week for the website to get approved by Google AdSense.
5) When your Google AdSense account is being reviewed just log in to your account, sit calmly spend some time on it, to get familiar with the dashboard. It might look complicated at first look but trust me you will easily get familiar with it.
To better understand Google AdSense Let’s now understand some terms used by Google Adsense
Understanding Ad Units:
Which particular ads will be displayed on your website will be decided by Google AdSense, but you are yet to decide how many ads will be displayed on your website and where those ads will be displayed, the size and the type of ads. This is basically known as an Ad Unit. So With Ad Unit, you will set up Ads for your Website
Now we will learn
- How to create an ad unit.
- How to place an ad unit.
What should you know?
You will need basic HTML/ CSS knowledge if you want to place your ad on your website in a proper way. It will be best if you can arrange some developer or designer to do this task for you. After creating and displaying ad unit, Google will automatically display ads on that ad unit, based on ads submitted by advertisers.
Tip: If you don’t have designer/ developer
Skip creating ad unit part. As Google is smart enough to understand your HTML and place your ads intelligently and in most cases it will not harm your website design, but still, the best way is to trust yourself and create your own ad unit.
Creating a new ad unit:
It’s recommended that you play along while going through the below instructions as it is the best way to learn something to do as you read.
- Login to your Adsense account.
- Navigate to My Ads section.
- Click on new ad unit to create ad unit process.
- As per your need select the type of ad unit you want to create.
- Give your ad unit a name.
Tip: Give a name so, you remember which ad unit is to be placed where. I will create an ad unit to be created on the top of banner, I will name it as “Top Banner Adsense”
- Ad size: The best way in terms of generating revenue is to choose recommended ad size, but if it doesn’t fit your need you can choose other options from drop-down
- Ad type: You can select ad type as per your requirement, but if you are looking to generate maximum revenue from your Adsense both text and display ads will be the best option for you.
- Create Ad Style: Here you can create your own design for ads to be displayed, But this is relevant only for text ads. As those ads which have images are completely designed by ad designers to fit their theme and color combination. So you can trust on that. So, for now, you can choose default style.
- Custom Channels: It is to test the statics of this ad unit i.e how it performed to compare to other ad units. For now, this basic setting is enough we will discuss the custom channels later, for now, you can skip that part and leave everything else blank, once you have finished configuring the ad unit click on the save button and get code button. We have two different options for this code type Asynchronous and Synchronous. It is best to use Asynchronous for faster load time. Copy the code and paste it into your webpage code.
- Copy this code
Trick: To exactly place the code where you want to place right click and inspect element. You will get blocks of HTML.
Allowing and blocking ads:
You can block some ads that you do not want to show up on your website
Click on all my sites:
You can block those ads that are not of your interest and producing less revenue. Like dating ads will eat your space and will not generate any revenue so you can block those ads.
Maximize AdSense revenue:
I would love to share some tips with you so that you can maximize your ad revenue:
- High-quality content: The good quality content automatically brings back your customers to link to you and read you. The more quality content you have, the more people come to your site, the more revenue you make
- Use recommended ad unit sizes.
- Use a max number of ad units. Get 3 ads per page.
- Research industries and keywords that are willing to pay high for advertisements or those industries that have high-profit margin. For example retail, insurance industries have the highest margin and can increase your revenue as they have high CPC.
- Do some research and you can focus on bringing these ads by producing relevant content on your website
Understanding Google Adsense / Measuring Adsense performance
- Page views: When a page with one or more and is viewed by a user on a website.
- Impression: Ad unit on a website that displays a particular ad this can be multiple per pageview.
- Click: When a user clicks an ad.
- Click through Rate: The ratio of click that a particular ad on a website receives in comparison to a total number of page views, for example when a website received 1000 impression on an ad that was clicked one time then its CTR is 1%.
- Cost per click:(CPC): Cost paid by advertisers form each click on an ad that a Google Adsense unit receives.
- Revenue per thousand impressions (RPM): It is the average amount of revenue earned for 1000 impression on a particular ad unit or website.
- Estimated Earnings: Total amount of revenue earned by a published regardless of page views.
- Ad request: Total number of times an ad unit on a specific website request google Adsense to serve relevant and related advertisement.